Interesting Food Trivia
- Pineapple is neither an apple nor a pine. It is a kind of berry.
- Black-eyed peas are not peas. They are beans.
- Cucumber is not a vegetable. It's a fruit.
- Garlic is a herb which is also a natural antibiotic and a blood cleanser that boosts the immune system.
It also helps in keeping the body warm.
- Tequila is made from the root of the blue agave cactus.
- Jam is made from whole or crushed fruit while jelly is made from strained fruit juice.
- Welsh-rabbit is not a rabbit. It's a melted cheese mixed with ale.
- Italian mozzarella cheese is made from the water buffalo's milk.
- Roquefort cheese is made with milk from the ewe or female sheep.
- The Hamburger got its name from Hamburg, Germany, a city where a kind of "hamburg steak" made of shredded
meat once was a popular dish.
- The word cookie is derived from the Dutch word koeptje ( koekje ), meaning small cake.
- The pound cake got its name from the one-pound quantities of the key ingredients - sugar, butter, eggs, and flour.
- Soup is believed to have come from the word “sop.” This term means to pour a rich warm broth over a slice of bread.
- Saffron, made from the dried stamens of cultivated crocus flowers, is the most expensive cooking spice.
- The spices nutmeg and mace are both derived from the fruit of the nutmeg tree. Nutmeg is produced from the kernel while mace is produced from the kernel's lacy covering.
- Ginger not only warms a cold body, but is also quite healthy. This spice is known for having powerful anti-inflammatory agents.
Many use this spice to help with migraine headaches, arthritis and nausea.
- Cinnamon can be used as a natural sweetener for applesauce. Diabetics can use this winter spice to help reduce blood sugar levels
along with triglycerides and cholesterol.
- Turmeric, an Indian spice, not only warms the body but can also help in protecting the body against cancer.
Turmeric has been used for treating stomach ulcers and relieving free radical stress in people suffering inflammation.
- Pepper is a strong spice often used when cooking bland dishes. This spice gives a pungent flavor to almost any food.
Adding a little extra pepper instead of salt to your foods can be both a warming and healthy benefit. Pepper is also
said to be helpful to those who have asthma.
- Cloves are not only warming but they are a great mouth freshener. Because they have antiseptic properties,
they not only help with bad breath, but can also keep other parts of your body healthy.